This recipe serves 8 and takes 20 minutes to make plus 50 – 55 minutes to cook.
Rhubarb and Custard Cake
- FOR THE ROASTED RHUBARB
- 400g rhubarb, trimmed and cut into chunks
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- 2 tbsp orange juice
- FOR THE CAKE MIX
- 350g unsalted butter
- 350g caster sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 6 free range eggs
- 350g self raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3 tbsp custard powder (about 25g)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan 170°C/Gas 4.
- Lightly butter a 20cm cake tin and line the bottom with greaseproof paper or a paper cake tin liner. Put the rhubarb onto an ovenproof dish. Add sugar and orange juice and roast for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, beat together the butter, sugar and vanilla in a bowl until smooth.
- Gradually beat the eggs and a little flour.
- Then add the rest of the flour and the baking powder and fold everything together.
- Spoon half of the batter into a bowl and set aside.
- Sieve the custard powder over the remaining batter and mix. Spoon half of this batter into a tin,
- then spoon half of the roasted rhubarb on top and cover with the rest of the cake mix.
- Arrange the remaining rhubarb on top (keep the rhubarb juices in a bowl) and bake for 35 – 40 minutes – cover the top with greaseproof paper to stop the cake from going too brown.
- Serve the cake with rhubarb juices.
My thanks to Ken and Viv Lewis for this recipe found in a magazine.