Marrow and Ginger Jam
- 1.5kg/3lbs of marrow (after peeling and de-seeding)
- Finely grated rind of 2 large lemons + juice
- 40g/1.5ozs root ginger
- 1.5kg/3lb granulated sugar
- 15g/½ oz butter
- Cut the marrow into small squares and steam for 20mins.
- Turn into a bowl and add the lemon juice and rind, and the ginger crushed and tied in a muslin bag.
- Add the sugar.
- Cover the bowl and leave to stand for 24 hours.
- Transfer to a large saucepan and heat slowly stirring all the time until the sugar dissolves.
- Bring to boil steadily for 30/45 minutes or until the marrow is almost transparent and the syrup is thick.
- Draw the pan away from the heat and add the butter to disperse the scum.
- Remove the ginger and pot and cover the jam.
- If you like the jam to taste more of ginger add ¾ lb of chopped, crystallized ginger when you transfer the contents to the saucepan.
My thanks to Viv and Ken Lewis for this recipe.