- 1 tbl sunflower oil
- 100 gm chopped onion
- 100 gm diced potato
- 1 celery stick, chopped
- 350gm uncooked beetroot, peeled and diced
- 225gm peeled and chopped tomatoes
- 900ml vegetable stock
- 2 tbl cider vinegar
- 2 bay leaves
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Natural yoghourt to garnish
- Heat oil in large pan, add onion, potato and celery. Cook for 2 mins.
- Add beetroot and cook for a further 3 mins
- Stir in the tomatoes, stock, cider vinegar and bay leaves and bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for one and a quarter hours or until beetroot is quite soft
- Discard bay leaves, blend soup in a liquidiser to a smooth puree.
- Reheat gently, seasoning with pepper to taste.
- Garnish with swirl of yoghurt.
- (NB it is important to add the cider vinegar otherwise the beetroot will cook to a strange brown colour, I have not tried freezing this soup but I imagine it would be fine).
Leave a Comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.